The lighthouse, which stands on the 24 m high Fyrbakke, dates from 1868. It is built on the remains of Valdemar’s old castle, which is the oldest dated fortification in Denmark. It has today been restored by the National Museum in collaboration with Sund & Bælt. In 1997, the light in the lighthouse was switched on after being switched off since 1980. Today, however, the lighthouse has no practical significance for ship traffic. The lighthouse is today protected.